Friday, January 3, 2014


As most of you know, I take care of a woman who is 109 years old.  She was pretty mobile, but recently she has become less mobile and has needed a lot of extra care.  I late November her son had a medical emergency and was admitted to the hospital, and between myself and another person we were providing around the clock care for Nannie.  In fact, the first day, I was working for 27 straight hours!  Most of the time it was 12 hour days everyday for about 3 weeks.  The decision was made that she was going to be placed in a Nursing home, but she never made it and died on the 18th of December.  109 YEARS OLD!  Can you believe that!?

Before Christmas break, we had a bit of a rough patch.  KK's throat started hurting (and he never complains about things like that!) and I called his school to tell them he was sick and took him to the doctor where he was diagnosed with Strep Throat and had to miss the next day of school, which he was upset about, but he needed time for the antibiotics to kick in.

The same day that I took KK to the doctor, after dinner my stomach hurt...I thought that I ate too much, and I went to take a bath.  I couldn't even get through the bath and I started throwing up.  I threw up about 10 different times that night.  I was sooo dehydrated and sick.  I couldn't even sip on water I would puke it back up, so I had to sip on ice cubes.  Mr H was so worried that he wanted to take me to the hospital...I knew all they would do is hook me up to an IV and push fluids.  I thought I would wait it out.  I don't think it helped that I was STILL nursing ET even though I was so sick!  Mr H tried to take care of ET, but he wasn't having it.  Mr H was up until almost 4am with him crying and screaming and only sleeping for 20 mins at a time.  I could tell Mr H was running thin so I took him and let him nurse and he was out for the rest of the night.  I was worried that I was going to get him sick, but prayed that he would be alright.  I was sick for about 5 days...I couldn't eat solids.  I tried once and I started puking again, it was TERRIBLE.

While I was trying to recover from being sick, I had noticed that ET was having trouble breathing and would wheeze at night.  He was very fussy during the day and it was very hard to handle when I was still feeling sooo sick.  So on Monday I took him to the doctor and he was tested for strep and RSV.  Strep was negative, but the RSV came back positive.  I panicked a little bit because all RSV babies that I have known they all have ended up in the hospital so I was worried.  I tried my hardest to make him comfortable during bedtime, propping him up on pillows, nursing him, holding him, rocking him, etc.  Eventually his wheezing concerned me and I took him back to the doctor and asked for a breathing treatment, which didn't really help, but I was told from the doctor that for an RSV baby he looked REALLY good and that I'm lucky that he's such a big baby, but it still didn't make me feel any better!

By Christmas we were all better, but for a couple weeks it was rough in our household.  I do want to give a little shout out to the wonderful friends I have...I was brought meals for 4 days so that I didn't have to worry about cooking!  I'm so grateful that I have close friends who love me enough to serve me when I needed it...and my family needed it too, cause we all know Mr H. would've made mac n cheese.

1 comment:

  1. that sounds just horrible! i'm glad in the end everyone was ok and it wasn't anything too serious! more than being sick myself i hate watching my J while he's sick!


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...