Pages

Saturday, March 26, 2011

Orthostatic Hypotension Vasovagal Syncope Episode

You're asking me what is this? Let me break it down...Orthostatic Hypotension is what happens when you stand up too fast and you feel dizzy or like you're going to pass out. Vasovagal has to deal with the vagal nerve in the parasympathetic nervous system (rest and digest). Syncope is when you actually pass out.

I let Mr H. take a nap this afternoon...he works hard and I think he deserves to take a nap when he is tired. While he was napping I was checking on G making sure he was studying. G had a Saturday school today and was a little butt-hurt that I was making him study even though he studied for a whopping 3 hours in Saturday School. KK was with my parents and since I had a semi-quiet house I poppd in a movie to watch. After the movie, I checked on G and he was sleeping. SLEEPING! I told him maybe he should study at the dining room table to help him not sleep. After not listening to me and adding 2 more days onto his grounding G decided he should go to the table. He was being G and started saying some mean things to me which Mr H. had heard from the bedroom and Mr H. came rushing into the room and started scolding G.
Then all of a sudden Mr H. slumped over the table and then sort of leaned over and face-planted into the floor vent. I freaked out...called his name. He didn't respond. My heart sank. G was still sitting at the table still mad that we were getting on his case...he wasn't observant as to what was going on with his dad. I told G to move...to give me more room. I rolled Mr H. over...his ashen face and his eyes rolling in the back of his head made me tell G to grab the phone and call 911. G was just sitting on the couch still pissed off at us. I got up, ran to my room, and grabbed the phone. I leaped back over to Mr H., who was now conscious and profusely bleeding from his head. Mr H. asked what happened? He was wondering why he laid down on the floor to finish his nap. His face wasn't so grey and his color was returning. G brought me a wet wash cloth to wipe up the blood that was now seeping into his hair. I was shaking so hard and my heart was pounding. I told Mr H. that he probably needs stitches and he told me, "Naw, that's what tape's for!" That statement helped me to know that he was feeling better. For about an hour Mr H. was still looking very pale and I made him sit and eat something and drink some water. Now he feels back to normal. I am concerned about him. I hope that was an isolated incident! The only thing that I can think of to make him do that is standing up too quickly and then getting upset with G and raising his voice which can increase the blood flow to his head. But his blood vessels couldn't adapt quickly enough to the increased blood flow and he went down. Let's hope this doesn't happen again. I don't want to experience something scary ever again!

2 comments:

  1. Ooh, scary. Glad he's ok. Keep an eye on him missy. It's clear he cares a lot about you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh scary!!! glad he's ok!!! hope it doesn't happen again! and i hope things with gabe get better!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...