Pages

Monday, April 25, 2011

Oatmeal Cookie Recipe

So I was thinking of a "healthier" way of preparing oatmeal cookies. I wanted something sweet but with less sugar so I started experimenting this afternoon with an oatmeal cookie recipe that I already had. I'm sure this recipe needs some "tweeking" but both of the boys LOVED them and wanted more.

INGREDIENTS

2 cups uncooked old fashioned oats
1 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 cup packed light brown sugar
3/4 cup unsalted butter
1/4 granulated sugar (I omitted)
1 egg
1 tablespoon honey
1 teaspoon vanilla
6 oz dried fruit (bought at Aldi's)
1 big carrot shredded (about 1/4 cup)
3 cups shredded sweetened coconut, divided (I omitted; I had none)


DIRECTIONS


1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line cookie sheets with parchment paper, set aside. I just greased it with the vegetable spray. Combine oats, flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon in medium bowl.

2. Combine brown sugar, butter, and granulated sugar in large bowl; beat with electric mixer at medium speed until light and fluffy. Add egg, honey, and vanilla; beat until well blended. Gradually add flour mixture, about 1/2 cup at a time, beating well after each addition. Stir in the dried fruit, carrots, and 1/2 cup coconut.

3. Spread remaining 2 1/2 cups coconut on plate. Drop dough by rounded tablespoonfuls onto coconut; roll to coat. Drop dough by rounded tablespoonfuls 2 inches apart onto prepared cookie sheets.

4. Bake 11-15 min. or until cookies are puffed and golden. DO NOT OVERBAKE. Cool 5 min on cookie sheets. Remove to wire racks. Cool completely.

Made about 40 cookies for me. I hope you enjoy...let me know how the recipe worked out for you and your family or if this recipe can be improved or made more healthier.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...